Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

You are here: Home / Governance / Minutes / 2013 / May


Date: May 14, 2013

Place: Village Hall, 5906 Connecticut Ave.

Time: 7:30 PM

Present: Peter Gray, Tim Hanlon, Frances L. Higgins, Nancy Pines, Chris Richardson; 3 Section 5 residents

  1. Agenda Item: Minutes

    Peter moved that the April 9, 2013, Council meeting minutes be approved as revised; there was a second. The motion passed unanimously.

  2. Agenda Item: County Ordinance Zoning Rewrite

    A County resident sent the Council an email stating that the County Planners are in the process of reviewing and changing a zoning ordinance which will modernize antiquated, redundant zoning regulations and create new tools to help achieve goals in community plans. This new ordinance will allow for farm animals in residentially zoned areas. There was some discussion.

    Manager will contact the County and determine the status of this proposed ordinance and get back to the Council at the June meeting.

  3. Agenda Item: Renewal of Supplemental Police Patrols Contract

    Peter reviewed the most recent invoice for the supplemental police patrols and determined that there are sufficient funds to have 32 hours of patrols for the remainder of this fiscal year and for the 2013-14 fiscal year.

    The manager will contact the County and state that Section 5 is ready to sign the contract for supplemental police patrols if the County will change the number of hours from 20 per week to 32 per month. Also, Peter asked that the manager direct the County to change the reference to Section 5 as "Town" to read Section 5 in the third "WHEREAS" written in the contract. The manager will ask the County police to send Section 5 regular reports of the patrols' actions for each month.

  4. Agenda Item: Discussion of Proposed Changes to Section 5's Charter

    The manager will include a copy of the proposed changes to Section 5's Charter with the June newsletter. She will also send a copy of the June Agenda with the newsletter.

  5. Agenda Item: Discussion of Survey of Section 5's Boundaries

    The manager at a previous Council meeting suggested that the Council should engage a surveyor to determine Section 5's boundaries. She made this recommendation because there have been instances where there was some disagreement about Section 5's boundary line in its relationship to a private boundary line. The manager has contacted a surveyor and is waiting for a proposal to determine Section 5's boundaries and the cost of this survey.

  6. Agenda Item: Treasurer's Report

    Tim provided the Council members with a copy of the revenues and expenditures to date. There was some discussion. Tim said that there will be an excess of funds in several budget items at the end of the this fiscal year. Peter said that the tree expenditure item has already exceeded the amount in the budget.

    Pepco is in the process of removing 23 trees in Section 5 which present a threat to the electric wires; however, Pepco does not grind the stumps. Because Pepco will not remove these stumps, Section 5 must bear the cost. This additional cost will result in the tree item in the budget exceeding its budget. There was some discussion. It was suggested that the Council wait until the new fiscal year to remove the stumps. It was suggested that there is sufficient money in the budget to cover the cost of the stump removal.

    The manager will determine the cost of removing the 23 stumps and report back to the Council.

  7. Agenda Item: Manager's Report

    The manger has engaged Colonial Landscape to remove the excess mulch around each of the public trees. She will then write a letter to each resident who has a public tree in front of his/her house that has excess mulch around the public tree. This letter will inform the resident that he/she should not place excess mulch around public trees.

    Each year the State Highway Administration asks each municipality to attest to the fact that the municipality has a separate account and it makes deposits into this account of highway user funds received from the State. The manger has signed this letter from the State Highway Administration.

    Each year Section 5's insurance company, LGIT, requires Section 5 to complete a survey detailing the town's actions regarding safety issues. The manager has completed this survey. Section 5 will receive a considerable reduction of its insurance premium for the next year.

  8. Agenda Item: Adjournment

    Peter adjourned the meeting. The next Council meeting will be Tuesday, June 11, 2013, at the Village Hall, 5906 Connecticut Ave., at 7:30 PM. The Village Hall has handicapped access. Everyone is welcome.