Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

You are here: Home / Governance / Minutes / 2023 / June


Date: June 13, 2023

Place: Chevy Chase Village Hall

Time: 7:30 PM

Present: Greg Chernack, Sean Downey, Maryann Luongo, Ashley Kavanaugh, Captain Jason Cokinos, and several Section 5 residents. Josh Galper and Philip Giordano joined by phone.

Agenda Item: Greetings and Introductions

Chairman Greg Chernack called the meeting to order and welcomed those in attendance.

Agenda Item: Swearing-in of Newly Elected Council Members

Chairman Chernack said that he, Sean Downey, and Philip Giordano had all been officially sworn-in for a new term by the County Clerk.

Agenda Item: Approval of May Council Meeting Minutes

Chairman Chernack moved that the minutes from the May meeting be approved; there was a second, and the motion passed.

Agenda Item: Residents Comments

-A resident asked about low water pressure after the WSSC water main work. The Manager will speak to the contractor and have them check the connection.

-A resident voiced concerns about a path in the liriope on Thornapple Street. The Manager will work with the Section landscaper to address the area.

Agenda Item: Discussion and Possible Vote on Ordinance No. 4-23-1 regarding the purchase of property

The Council continued the discussion regarding the possible purchase of a piece of land at the foot of Windsor Place. The property would be used for a greenspace. The location of the property is such that it is landlocked, and an easement is required from a neighboring property to access the land. There is now a question as to whether the current easement is legally binding upon the sale of the property. The Section and its legal counsel are working to better understand the issues. It is possible the Council may decide not to proceed with a purchase if it is deemed not to be in the best interest of the Town. Given the developments, the Council decided to proceed with a vote that would allow the Council the authorization to purchase the property, should they decide to do so. Chairman Chernack made the motion for authorization to purchase the property; there was a second, and the motion passed by a vote of 4-1. Councilmember Giordano did not vote for authorization.

Agenda Item: Financial Report FY 2023

The Town Manager provided the Council members with copies of the financial report for FY 2023. The report included all revenues, expenses, and net income to date. The Manager noted that the final June State income tax payment for FY 2023 has not yet been made but is expected to be at least $100,000. After reviewing the financial report, the Council recommended that a credit/rebate once again be provided to residents. Chairman Chernack moved that Section 5's Council provide a $700 real estate tax credit for each of the 227 households plus LaFerme restaurant for FY 2023. The motion was seconded, and it passed unanimously. The manager will notify Section 5's residents of the Council vote.

Agenda Item: Manager’s report

-The Manager asked the Council for authorization to make the transfer of $30k from the general fund to the Capital Improvements fund as outlined in last year’s budget. The Council unanimously approved the transfer by motion and vote.

-The Manager noted we need to update the bank accounts to remove Pat Xeller and add Sean Downey, Josh Galper, Philip Giordano, and Maryann Luongo to the Bank of America account. The Council unanimously approved the changes by motion and vote.

-The Manager asked the Council to slate officers following the election. There was a discussion and the Council decided that Greg Chernack would remain Chair, Josh Galper will now serve as Vice-Chair, and Maryann Luongo will continue as Treasurer.

-The Manager said the Fourth of July parade and party are ready to go. We have added the ice cream truck this year. A big thanks to Sean and Philip for agreeing to help with the set up and program.

-The Manager said that the Council has been asked to weigh in on whether sidewalks should be required for the property that is currently in the subdivision process near Windsor Place. Currently there are no other sidewalks on that street. The Council can waive the walk as they did on Brookville, require the applicant to add them and pay for them, or require the applicant to provide the easement and the Section pay for the walk. The Council discussed and did not reach a conclusion at this time. The Manager will follow up in a few weeks.

-The Manager said that the recent Maryland Public Information Act email requests have brought to light several inefficiencies with the way our email is received. Our outside counsel has suggested we streamline our current email process and potentially look to change our website. The change would mean a move away from our long-time web consultant and likely engaging a company that specializes in government websites. The Council asked the Manager to explore options over the summer and move forward if appropriate.

-As a reminder, there will be no Council meeting in July or August.


Chairman Chernack adjourned the meeting. The next meeting will be held September 12, 2023, at 7:30 PM. Everyone is welcome.