Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

You are here: Home / Governance / Minutes / 2019 / June


Date: June 11, 2019

Place: Village Hall, 5906 Connecticut Avenue

Time: 7:30 PM

Present: Greg Chernack, Scott Livingston, Pat Xeller, Maryann Luongo, Phil Giordano, Ashley Kavanaugh, and Joe Toomey

Agenda Item: Greetings and Introductions

Chairman Greg Chernack called the meeting to order and welcomed those in attendance. Chairman Chernack and then Councilmember Pat Xeller were sworn in for additional two-year terms.

Agenda Item: Review and Approval of May Council Meeting Minutes

Chairman Chernack moved that the minutes from the May meeting be approved; there was a second, and the motion passed.

Agenda Item: Residents comments

There were no resident comments.

Agenda Item: Potential Sidewalk Work Discussion – Joe Toomey

The Town Manager and Building Administrator Joe Toomey recently completed a walk of the Section 5 sidewalks targeted for a FY 2020 sidewalk project. Looking at recent projects in the area, Toomey estimates the concrete to run roughly $75 per linear foot. Looking at the current scope of the project a cost estimate is close to $120,000. The Section 5 Council authorized the Town Manager to put the project out for bid.

Agenda Item: ZTA 19-01, Accessory Dwelling Units

The County Council is expected to vote on ZTA 19-01 in July. County Executive Marc Elrich is not supporting the legislation as it is currently written. He recently sent out an email to constituents urging them to learn more about the proposed amendment and provide him with specific feedback. The arguments he highlights as problematic are similar to arguments Section 5 made in its letter to the County Council. The Town Manager will reach out directly to County Executive Elrich and include a copy of our letter to the County Council. The Town Manager will also send a follow-up email to all residents including all of the relevant correspondence.

Agenda Item: Financial Report FY 2019

The Town Manager provided the Council members with copies of the financial report for FY 2019. The report included all revenues, expenses, and net income to date. The Manager noted that that the final June State income tax payment for FY 2019 has not yet been made but is expected to total close to $100,000.

Given that Section income will exceed expenditures for the year, the Council recommended that a credit/rebate once again be provided to residents. Chairman Chernack moved that Section 5's Council provide a $700 real estate tax credit for each of the 227 households plus LaFerme restaurant for FY 2019. The motion was seconded, and it passed unanimously. The manager will notify Section 5's residents of the Council vote.

Agenda Item: Manager’s Report

-The Town Manager indicated that the Section 5 Bank of America checking account needs to be updated and noted accordingly in the meeting minutes to include all current Council members as authorized signers. Chairman Chernack moved that the Section will add councilmembers Maryann Luongo and Philip Giordano as authorized signers and remove Chris Richardson and Nancy Pines; there was a second, and the motion passed. Chairman Greg Chernack, Vice-Chair Scott Livingston, Secretary Patricia Xeller, and Town Manager Ashley Kavanaugh will remain as authorized signers.

-The Manager said that the Section has identified two possible off-duty police officers that are interested in working in Section 5 as part-time employees. She will work with Chairman Chernack to find a time to meet with them over the summer months.

-The Section is continuing to work with the State Archives on filing a Records Retention Plan. The Section has received feedback that requires small changes to be made to the most recent plan submitted. The Manager will work with Julie Sparacino who is assisting with this project to determine the dates and remaining information, and then submit a new plan.

-The Manager asked for feedback regarding the memo from Grace Fielder and Associates. The Council discussed the recommendations made for the Section and decided to ask GFA to help in the replacement of the Town signs and planters at the four corners that mark the Section boundary. The Manager will reach out to Ms. Fielder to discuss.


Chairman Chernack adjourned the meeting. The next meeting will be held September 10, 2019, at 7:30 PM at the Village Hall, 5906 Connecticut Avenue. The Village Hall has handicapped access. Everyone is welcome.